1 The Muppet Mindset: The Great Muppet Survey - Renee Angely

Jul 15, 2013

The Great Muppet Survey - Renee Angely

Answers from Renee Angely

1. Who are your three favorite characters from The Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, the Muppet movies, etc. and why?
My first favorite is Kermit the Frog, because he basically started it all and he's the leader of the Muppets and cares about all his friends. My second favorite is Pepe the King Prawn, he's very funny and Bill Barretta goes all out with this character with a little improv in between. But I think my very favorite is Scooter, mainly because he's one of Richard Hunt's best characters and an excellent singer and also loyal to his friends and he would do anything in a heartbeat.

2. Who are your three favorite characters from Sesame Street and why?
Well, the first two, I have to go with Ernie and Bert, the ultimate odd couple. Ernie is funny and carefree while Bert is serious and somewhat dull, they bounce off each other very well, much like their performers, Jim Henson and Frank Oz. Now that Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobson are taking over the roles, both are performing the twosome really well. My third favorite is Grover simply because of how hilarious Frank can get. Frank puts so much improv in the character and that makes him so funny, even my dad likes him!

3. Who are your three favorite characters from Fraggle Rock and why?
As much as I hate to choose a favorite from the Fraggle Five, I have to go with Wembley as my very favorite. He extremely funny and also very kind and sweet. He's a little like me in terms of not liking conflict or arguments and Steve Whitmire puts his musical talent and sense of humor into this character making him so lovable. My second favorite would have to be Gobo because of Jerry Nelson, Jerry was always nice and very musical and Gobo is just that. Gobo is always helpful to his friends, especially his best friend, Wembley and even his competitive rival and closest friend, Red. Sometimes, even he makes mistakes, but easily learns from them making him a great leader to the Fraggle Five. My third favorite is hard to decide, but I have to go with Cantus. Cantus is Jim, being a wise and musical minstrel, he teaches the fraggles to find their own music and listen to their hearts, always.

4. What is your favorite television program starring any of Jim Henson's creations (e.g. The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Dinosaurs, etc.) and why?
At times, this is really hard to decide. I keep going back and forth between Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and Fraggle Rock, both are outstanding. The music in both projects is wonderful and all the characters are so lovable and easy to relate to. I think they both tie as my favorite Muppet projects of all time.

5. What is your favorite Muppet movie and why?
I keep going back and forth between The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan, both are very musical and all the songs are pretty catchy, but I have to go with The Great Muppet Caper as my favorite. I'm a fan of musicals and The Great Muppet Caper is very musical with songs and music by the great Joe Raposo, you can't go wrong with this movie.

6. What is your favorite Muppet/Sesame/Fraggle song and why?
So many to choose from! But I have to go with "When the River Meets the Sea." I recently experienced a death in the family and I watched Emmet Otter, when this song came on, I hoped that my Grandmom heard it, this song is about the real mystery of life, we never know what will happen in the future or when our time will come to an end, but as long as we embrace it, we'll live a very good life.

7. If you could have dinner with any living Muppet performer who would you choose and why?
If I could choose a current performer, I would choose David Rudman because I would like to know what is was like being taken under Richard Hunt's wing and what it's like to take over some of his characters, including Scooter.

8. If you could tell Jim Henson one thing, what would it be?
I would say "Thank you for the magic you brought to the world, we need it now more than ever."

9. If the President called you and asked to discuss Muppet projects, what would you tell him was the "Greatest Muppet Moment of All Time"?
I would tell him that the Greatest Muppet Moment of all-time would be the entire run of Fraggle Rock. Simply because Jim's goal with this show was to try to bring a little peace to the world so we can learn from each other's differences, I think the world needs to realize this once again.

10. What's the name of that song?
"Barbecue."

11. If a judge ruled that Grover had to be your personal assistant for a month, what jobs would you have him do?
I would have him "pet-sit" my cat and make sure he gets food, water and give him a lot of exercise.

12. In your opinion, what is the worst Muppet production ever made?
I think the worst Muppet production would have to be Studio DC: Almost Live. I just don't think the Muppets mingling with stars like Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, and The Jonas Brothers was a good idea. Most of the Disney Channel shows today aren't funny anyway, although they tried with the Muppets, I don't think it worked out well in the end.

13. Who is one celebrity you would love to see cameo in the next Muppet movie?
I would love to see Tom Bergeron in the next movie, he's been seen with the Muppets on America's Funniest Home Videos and Dancing with the Stars so he would be an excellent cameo in the next movie.

14. If you could take a picture with any Muppet, who would you choose and how would you pose?
I would pick Scooter, because he's my favorite Muppet from The Muppet Show and we both wear glasses, so we go hand in hand, but I would also pick Wembley, so I would have them both next to me with my arms around them because I love both of them so much!

15. What is your favorite piece of Muppet merchandise that you own? (Feel free to include a picture!)
Right now, my favorite piece of Muppet merchandise is the Imagination Illustrated and Street Gang books. I like seeing all the behind the scenes photos with all the Muppeteers and their characters. This is why I'm looking forward to the new Fraggle Rock book commemorating 30 years of music and dancing and maybe never before seen behind the scenes photos and stories.






The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner